William D. Murrell, Jr. M.D., M.S., orthopaedic surgeon sub-specialized in orthopaedic sports and regenerative medicine. Currently is the Chief Science Officer, Emirates Healthcare. Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Diplomat of the American Board Orthopaedic SurgeryOrthopaedic Sports Medicine and American Academy and Board of Regenerative Medicine, and member of the American Orthopaedic Society Sports Medicine (AOSSM).
• Medical training Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
• Internship and residency at Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
• Fellowship Shoulder/Knee, The Orthopaedic Specialty Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
• Harvard Business School Executive Education, Business Innovations in Global Healthcare.
• Co-Founder, Biologic Orthopedic Journal, Dallas, TX, USA.
• Associate Editor, Journal Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, London, U.K.
• Section Editor, Sports Medicine, Journal of Clinical Orthopedics and Trauma, London, U.K.
• International Advisory Board for Bone and Joint Journal (BJJ), London, U.K.
• Principal Reviewer-American Journal of Sports Medicine, Rosemont, IL, USA.
Regenerative Medicine Activities
1. Murrell, WD, Hafsi K. Gold induced cytokines (GOLDIC) for treatment of knee osteoarthritis, Inventional
Orthopaedics Foundation (IOF), [presentation], Denver, Colorado, USA, FEB 2019.
2. Harrison-Brown M, Scholes C, Hafsi K, Marenah M, Li J, Hassan F, Maffulli N, Murrell, WD. Efficacy and
safety of culture-expanded, mesenchymal stem/stromal cells for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a
systematic review protocol. J Orthop Surg and Res, 2019, Jan. epub.
3. Murrell, WD, Hafsi K. Gold induced cytokines (GOLDIC) for treatment of knee osteoarthritis, International
Cartilage Regeneration Society (ICRS) Focus Meeting, I am not ready for metal. [presentation,
moderation], Milan, Italy, DEC 2018.
4. Murrell, WD, Hafsi K. Treatment of Symptomatic Cartilage Lesions Knee, Stem Cells, PRP Fact or Fiction,
Microfracture Plus, Does it work?- Annual Meeting Saudi Orthopaedic Society. [presentation], Jeddah KSA,
5. Ulasli A, Ozcakar L, Murrell, WD. Ultrasound imaging and guidance in the management of osteoarthritis in
regenerative medicine field. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2018, DEC. epub.
6. Lana JFSD, Castro RB, Rodrigues BL, Oliveira CC, Huber SC, Lizier NF, Murrell WD, Nicholls M.
Orthobiologic treatment for knee osteoarthritis: A cost effective choice. Biomed J Scien Tech Res, 2018,
7. Jain NB, Scheider BJ, Murrell WD, Hettrich C, Archer KR. What’s New in Orthopaedic Rehabilitation. JBJSAm, 2018, NOV.
8. Murrell, WD, Hafsi K. Prolotherapy, the Evidence is Mounting, Treatment of Tendinopathy, Italian Society
Musles Ligaments and Tendons Annual Meeting 2018. [presentation], Salerno, Italy, NOV 2018.
9. Murrell, WD, Hafsi K. Lipskills Users Conference (Culture Expanded Adipose Derived Stem Cells for Knee
Osteoarthritis). [presentation], Dubai, UAE, NOV 2018.
10. Hafsi K, Marenah M, Li, J, Murrell, WD, Quality assurance and adverse event management – Best Practices
Conference- Clinical Outcomes Registry for Orthobiologics. DHCC Best Practices Conference 2018,
[presentation], Dubai, UAE, Nov 2018.
11. McKay J, Frantzen K, Vercruyssen N, Opitz T, Davis A, Murrell, WD. Rehabilitation Considerations After
Regenerative Medicine Treatment Knee Osteoarthritis. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2018, OCT. epub.
12. Hafsi K, McKay J, Li, J, Lana JF, Macedo, A, Santos GS, Murrell, WD. Nutritional, Metabolic, and Genetic
Considerations to Optimise Regenerative Medicine Outcome for Knee Osteoarthritis. . J Clin Orthop
Trauma, 2018, OCT. epub.
13. Macedo, A, Santos, GS, Ingrao, ILG, Vieira IFV, Castro RB, Huber SC, Filho SC, Murrell, WD, Lana, JFSD.
Correlation Between Sex Hormone Deficiency and Osteoarthritis. Journal of Bone Biology and
Osteoporosis. 2018, SEP.
14. Marenah, M, Li, J, Kumar, A, Murrell, WD. Quality Assurance and Adverse Event Management in
Regenerative Medicine for Knee Osteoarthritis: Current Concepts. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2018, SEP.
15. Hassan, F., Murrell, WD , Refalo, A., and Maffulli, N., Alternatives to Biologics in Management of Knee
Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review. Sports Medicine Arthroscopy Review. 2018 , JUN.
16. Hassan, F., Murrell, WD , Trebinjac, S., and Hashim, Z., Chapter 8: Platelet Rich Plasma to Enhance
Orthopaedic Procedures in. Regenerative Treatments in Sports and Orthopaedic Medicine, 2017,OCT.
17. Murrell, WD, 5th Sports and Exercise Medicine Summer Camp 2017, Sports Injuries: New Techniques &
Management, Platelet Rich Plasma in MSK Disease: Myth or Truth; Current Landscape of Regenerative
Medicine. [faculty], Kalamata, Greece, 2017.
18. Schneider, U, Wallich, R, Felmet, G, Murrell, WD,. Chapter 39: Gold Induced Cytokines Treatment in
Achilles Tendinopathy in. Muscles and Tendon Injury, Evaluation and Management, 2017, May, Springer.
19. Murrell WD. Yet another key learning point in the quest universal cartilage repair and restoration. Annals
of Translational Medicine. 2017, FEB.
20. Murrell, WD, Bone and Joint Conference 2017,Sports Injury Management New Procedures and
Techniques. [speaker], Dubai, UAE, FEB 2017.
21. Hassan, F., Trebinjac, S., Murrell, WD and Maffulli, N., The effectiveness of prolotherapy in treating knee
osteoarthritis in adults: a systematic review. British Medical Bulletin, 2017, JAN.
22. Murrell, WD. 1st Asia Oceana MSK Ultrasound Congress and Regenerative Medicine Conference, Practical
Approach to Application of Biologics to Shoulder Conditions. [speaker], Manila, Philippines, NOV 2016
23. Murrell, WD. Philippine Society Anesthesia, -48th Annual Meeting, Platelet Rich Plasma in Therapy in MSK
Diseases: Truth or Myth. [speaker], Manila, Philippines, NOV 2016.
24. Murrell, WD, Evidence of Homologous Use in Cellular Based Therapy in Medical Practice. United States
Food and Drug Administration (FDA), [presentation], National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland,
USA, SEP 2016
25. Anz, AW, Bapat, A, Murrell, WD,. Concepts in regenerative medicine: Past, present, and future in articular
cartilage treatment. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2016, JUN.
26. Murrell, WD, The Orthobiologic Institute (TOBI)-7th Annual PRP and Regenerative Health 2016, [lab
faculty], Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, June 2016
27. Murrell, WD, American Society for Interventional Pain Physicians-18th Annual Meeting, The Current
Landscape of Regenerative Medicine. [keynote speaker], Dallas, Texas, USA, April 2016
28. Centeno CJ, Al-Sayegh H, Freeman MD, Smith J, Murrell WD, Bubnov R. A multi-center analysis of adverse
events among two thousand, three hundred and seventy two adult patients undergoing adult autologous
stem cell therapy for orthopaedic conditions. Int. Orthop. 2016 Mar 30:1-1.
29. Murrell, WD, Women’s Health Conference 2016, Regenerative Medicine to Treat Sports Injuries in
Women. [speaker], Dubai, UAE, March 2016
30. Murrell, WD, Schaffer, J. 12th Middle-East Orthopaedic Conference, Arab Health 2016, Shoulder: The
Most Important Joint, Roundtable: Innovations, Technology in Shoulder Treatment. [chairman,
moderator, discussion leader], Dubai, UAE, January 2016
31. Murrell, WD, Biologics to Enhance Current Orthopaedic Procedures: Focus Knee, OCD Case Discussions,
Office Based Bone Marrow Aspiration for Knee Practice . 3rd Congress of the Indian Cartilage Society 2015,
[presentation], Ahmedabad, India, November 2015.
32. Murrell, WD, Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy in MSK Disease: Truth or Myth. Internal Medicine Review
Course 2015, [presentation], Abu Dhabi, UAE, October 2015.
33. Murrell, WD, Regenerative Treatments to Augment Current Orthopaedic Procedures. 2nd UP Orthopaedic
Association Trauma Course, [presentation], Lucknow, India, October 2015.
34. Murrell, WD, Cell Based Therapies in Musculoskeletal Medicine. The Orthobiologic Institute (TOBI)-6th
Annual PRP and Regenerative Health 2015, [Lab faculty, Event moderator], Las Vegas, USA, June 2015
35. Murrell, WD, Anz, AW, Badsha, H, Bennett, WF, Boykin, RE, Caplan, AI. Regenerative Treatments to
Enhance Orthopaedic Surgical Outcome. PM&R , 2015, APR.
36. Murrell, WD, Schaffer, J. 11th Middle-East Orthopaedic Conference, Arab Health 2015, The Knee from
Birth to the Golden Years, Maintaining Quality and Compliance in Biological Programs. [chairman,
moderator, presentation], Dubai, UAE, January 2015
37. Murrell, WD, Managing Quality and Compliance-Biologics and the Knee. 8th Biennial Conference of
OASAC , [presentation], Agra, India, October 2014
38. Murrell, WD, Hackel, J. Office Based Ultrasound Guided Bone Marrow Aspiration; Safe and Effective.
Basic Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Course, [presentation, lab faculty], Andrews Institute, Gulf Breeze,
Florida, June 2014
39. Murrell, WD, PRP and Shoulder, 3rd Dubai Shoulder Summit, [presentation], Dubai, UAE, May 2014
40. Murrell, WD, Complications in Clavicle Fractures the Myths, Biologics in Degenerative Knee Conditions.
2nd International Advanced Orthopaedic Congress, [presentation], Dubai, UAE, March 2014
41. Murrell, WD, Stem Cells. International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS) Focus Meeting, [moderator],
Bologna, Italy, December 2013
42. Murrell, WD, Safe and Compliant Cell Based Therapies in Musculoskeletal Medicine. The Orthobiologic
Institute (TOBI)-4th Annual PRP and Regenerative Health 2013, [presentation, moderator], Los Angeles,
USA, June 2013
43. Murrell, WD. Treatment of Knee Degenerative Conditions: Combining Classic Skills with Ultra Modern
Technology and Treatment: MEDICINA E CHIRURGIA ORTOPEDICA, Jan-Feb 2013
44. Murrell, WD, 21st Century and Beyond: Cutting Edge Biological Treatments in Orthopaedic Sports
Medicine: Arab Health Magazine, November 2012(5); 68-70
45. Murrell, WD, Current Use of Hyaluronic Acid in Orthopaedic Practice, Emerging Stem Cell Technologies.
8th Middle-East Orthopaedic Conference, Arab Health 2012, Orthopaedics and New Innovations
[presentation, moderator], Dubai, UAE, January 2012
46. Murrell, WD, Application of Progenitor Stem Cells for Articular Cartilage Regeneration, Academic Medical
Center Executive Committee, Oct 2011 [presentation], Dubai Healthcare City, Dubai, UAE; UAE Ministry
of Health [presentation], Sharjah, UAE, October 2011